Nuance® Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 UPGRADE from Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2 - 1 licensed, download-only copy.
NOTE 1: This Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 UPGRADE product upgrades to Nuance® Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 product from one qualifying prior version. The valid prior product that qualifies for this upgrade is: Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2
NOTE 2: Upgraders should retain your prior product serial number. Upgrades can be loaded on a new PC but the routine will ask the user to provide this prior serial number.
Scroll for more info or click to jump to:
- Product Summary/License Info
- Product Features
- What's New in Nuance® Dragon® Medical Practice Edition Version 4?
- Two Main Versions - is this the right one for you?
- How many licensed copies do we need?
- System Requirements
IMPORTANT NOTICE Re Product Life Cycle
Nuance has announced end-of-life (EOL) for Dragon® Medical Practice Edition:
- DMPE will no longer be available for purchase after March 31, 2021.
PRODUCT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE - Consider replacement product -- Nuance’s cloud, subscription-based medical dictation product, Dragon® Medical One.
- Maintenance and support contracts for DMPE ion will not be available for purchase or renewal after March 31, 2021.
- Support for DMPE will end on March 31, 2022.
Owners of DMPE can continue to use their installed DMPE after March 31, 2022 without support. The end of maintenance and support means that Nuance will not work to prevent or resolve any compatibility/security/performance/usage issues that arise. And, as of this time, Nuance is also saying that new activations may not be possible after support ends of 3/31/2022.
- Please also view EOL info on the Nuance Healthcare support site: https://nuancecommunity.force.com/NuanceHealthcareSupport/s/article/Dragon-Medical-Practice-Edition---Whats-New-and-Can-I-Download-Replacement-Software14640
- The suggested replacement product is Nuance’s cloud, subscription-based medical dictation product, Dragon® Medical One.
- Here is a short typeable link to our Dragon® Medical One product info: www.image-management.com/dmo
Who can purchase? This product is available for purchase by individuals OR organizations with 24 or fewer physicians, etc. See more info below.
How many users can use this product? This software product is licensed for one (1) user per licensed copy of the software.
How many PCs can this product be loaded on? This product can be loaded on up to four PCs for the licensed user.
How many user licenses do you need? One product per dictating user. See more below about licensing. We would be also be glad to provide you a custom quote.
How delivered? This product is a DOWNLOAD-ONLY product. (We will email you a download link and your serial number.)
Microphone? This product does NOT include a microphone and a microphone is required for usage. As an upgrader, you may already have a microphone. If not or if you want an additional/new microphone, you can check out our microphone options to add to your order.
Operating System? Microsoft Windows. See systems requirements below.
Return Policy? This product contains software. See our Return Policy.
Warranty: Manufacturer's warranty applies.
Questions? Have questions or want a custom quote (with accessories, services, etc.)? Contact Us. Also visit our Dragon Support page for more product info.
Nuance® Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 uses advanced technologies to provide unsurpassed speech recognition accuracy across medical specialties. Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 enables medical professionals to complete their patient notes quickly and at a fraction of the cost of manual transcription, allowing savings of thousands of dollars per year per physician. With Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 2, you can:
- Reduce or eliminate manual transcription!
- Dictate into Windows® apps including your Electronic Medical Record (EMR/EHR), word processor and email.
- Select your medical specialty from over 90 pre¬configured medical specialty vocabularies.
- Quickly create simple commands to enter blocks of text such as normal exam results or patient education statements. Commands can also be used to automate complex, multi-step tasks.
- Includes a basic, noise-canceling, USB-attached headset microphone. Also, use digital recorders and/or specialty microphones such as the programmable wireless handheld SpeechMike Premium Air, the programmable handheld PowerMic III, Bluetooth/wireless mics, etc.
- Use Dragon’s Roaming User feature for easy user movement between PCs & for central back-up.
- Experience increased accuracy for accented speakers with regional accented English acoustic models: Indian, Spanish, British, Australian, SE Asian, Pakistani, Southern US and Inland Northern US (Great Lakes area).
- Use the Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 Enhanced Medical Formatting capabilities allow users to set how the product displays dictation of information like times, dates, units of measure, and acronyms for medical conditions and procedures.
- Focus on Performance and Ease of Use
- Next generation models and technologies provide unsurpassed accuracy
- Enhanced acoustic and language models with Deep Learning Technology
- New Neural Network Models use more context, more scale, more accuracy to make recognition decisions. (Prior Model's outcome was dependent on up to last four words.)
- Enhanced Acoustic Models with Deep Neural Network (DNN) technology
- Enhanced Language Models with Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) technology)
- Advanced Deep Learning technology constant learns and adapts to voice and environmental variations
- Data Collection projects led to better understanding
- Continuous improvements by research
- Recognition now only requires a single core - better recognition with lower resource requirements
- Updated User Interface (UI) with modern DragonBar -- see image of DragonBar choices above in product images
- New auto-expanding DragonBar that uses less screen real estate and collapses to a very small screen presence
- Can still use classic DragonBar if you prefer
- Optimizations/improvements include:
- Improved portable touchscreen support
- Support for internal microphones
- Faster Profile Creation with simplified user creation process
Auto Gain Control and new models allow for profile creation without the need for training
- Simplified Options dialog
- Compatibility Improvements:
- Extended Full Text Control
- Maintains compatibility with the latest EMR/EHR updates.
- Examples of updated EMR support:
- Sage (TEEdit v18)
- Henry Schein/MicroMD (TX18/TXEdit 18)
- Cerner (TX19/TXEdit 19)
- EPIC v2014 (EpicTer81 Class), EPIC v2015 (EpicTer82 Class), EPIC v2017 (EpicTer83 Class), EPIC v2018 (EpicTer84 Class)
- McKesson Paragon 11.1.775, 11.2.413, 12.0.665
- Improved support for Office 2010, 2013, 2016
- Citrix/VM support updated to 7.6 or later, up to 7.15
- Notification if missing browser extension that provides browser support
- For more information about the new version, please visit the new version's RELEASE NOTES, linked at the bottom of the page in the Resources section.
NOTE: Dragon Medical Practice Edition 4 no longer supports the following functionality:
- Auto-punctuation support: The 'Automatically add commas and periods' option
- BestMatch V acoustic models
- Dragon Remote Microphone: The actual smartphone app called Dragon Remote Mic was removed from Apple iTunes store and Android PlayStore during Fall, 2017.
- Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 - This is the product you are viewing right now!
Available for individuals OR organizations with 24 or fewer physicians (PAs, NPs, etc. are not included in this count) AND can NOT be sold to hospital, hospital clinic or practice owned/operated by hospital.
Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 is the current Dragon® Medical product.
- Dragon® Medical Network Edition (formerly Dragon® Medical Enterprise Network Edition or Dragon® Medical 360)
Only available for organizations with 25+ physicians (PAs, NPs, RNs, etc. not counted) and sold directly by manufacturer.
Contact us if you need assistance identifying how to contact Nuance’s direct sales organization, regarding Dragon® Medical Network Edition.
Looking for Dragon® Medical One, the cloud-based, subscription speech recognition software from Nuance, the manufacturer of Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4?
This product is Nuance's flagship product and Nuance is conducting most of their research/development/support efforts on/for this product. For more info, visit our Dragon® Medical One page.
Dragon® is licensed based on the number of dictating users, but can be loaded on more than one PC for the dictating user(s). The software can be loaded on a user's desktop PC, laptop, another office PC, home PC (if you allow), etc. It can even be loaded on a support person’s PC if that person only uses the software to start the transcription of and proofread dictation done by the licensed dictator. Whether the users are "simultaneous users" or not FTEs is immaterial. And, the fact that multiple dictators use the same PC is also immaterial. So, count the number of dictating users to determine the count of Dragon® Medical licensed users needed! (The product EULA, End User License Agreement, is linked at the bottom of this write-up.)
NOTE: The install process checks that your PC meets for minimum requirements. If your PC does not meet these minimums, the software will not install.
- Processor: Minimum 2.2 GHz Intel® Dual Core or equivalent AMD processor. Faster processors will yield faster performance!
- RAM/Memory: Minimum recommended is 4 GB for Windows 7, 8, 10 and 2008 64-bit/2012
Examine your work to determine the memory requirements of all programs you need to run simultaneously.
- Free Hard Disk Space: 4 GB (8 GB download)
Space needed can be reduced if don’t load all medical vocabularies.
Space needed can increase based on number of users and number of vocabularies per user.
- Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2 or 2016
- Browser: Internet Explorer 11 for the in-product help.
For general web browsing/usage, current version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge recommended.
You will want to install the Dragon Medical extension for Chrome/Edge use.
One more important element that makes Dragon perform correctly in the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers is the Dragon Medical Chrome extension located here:
We recommend clicking the link above to install this extension so that you will have better functionality in these browsers.
- Microphone - For good accuracy, you will want to use a dictation-quality microphone. Click here to consider a microphones of your choosing, such as the programmable wireless handheld SpeechMike Premium Air, the programmable handheld PowerMic III, Bluetooth/wireless mics, etc. If you are interested in a microphone that you don't see, contact us.
- Audio System: Depending on the microphone you plan to use, you need to ensure you support the microphone's needed connectivity -- USB, BlueTooth, 16-bit recording sound card (analog), etc.
- A DVD-ROM drive is required for installation of software
- If you don't have a DVD-ROM on a needed PC, we can set you up to download the software OR you can copy the install files to an accessible network drive or USB drive. Let us know if you need help.
- Speakers are required for hearing tutorial, playback of recorded speech and text to speech features
- A web connection is required for activation
- Attaching a recorder (purchased separately) may require a port (USB, serial, etc. depending on the model.) Contact us.
Microphone is NOT included:
A Nuance-approved, noise-canceling USB headset microphone is NOT included with a Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 UPGRADE because it is assumed that the user is already using a microphone with their original product. Upgrade time is a good time to consider a new microphone and users may desire different style/connectivity microphones or extra microphones for use with additional PCs. Check here for microphone options.
- Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 Product Data Sheet (PDF)
- Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 Medical Specialty and Sub-specialty Vocabularies (PDF)
- Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 What's New Document (PDF)
- Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (PDF)
- Dragon® Medical Practice Edition 4 Comparison to other Nuance products (PDF)
- Also visit our technology support pages.